I’ve been writing a lot about agency and purpose and identity the past few weeks. In my declarations about purpose and my definitions of my identity, I think I’ve been searching for peace. For contentment and worth.
Contentment and worth don’t come from these things. They come from a right relationship with my creator. I do this sooo often. I search for these things in any and everything besides him. Yet, he’s always so patient, forgiving and gentle in my wanderings.
As I think through my purpose and identity I must never forget that my one purpose is simply to be his.
I don’t need to do anything.
I just need to be his daughter.
And that’s enough.
If you need some help remembering this (as I do daily), here are some reminders:
- Read “On Snow” from Shauna Niequist’s book Present Over Perfect
- Listen to Christy Nockel’s interview with Ellie Holcomb on the Glorious in the Mundane podcast
- Listen to I Shall Not Want by Audrey Assad
CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK
- Just Be. Stop the hustling and rest in what he’s done for you and who you are in him.
- Listen to Audrey’s song. What things does she sing about that you are putting your identity in other than Christ?