“That old September feeling, left over from school days, of summer passing, vacation nearly done, obligations gathering, books and football in the air … Another fall, another turned page: there was something of jubilee in that annual autumnal beginning, as if last year’s mistakes had been wiped clean by summer.” – Wallace Stegner
Alright, I know, I know. I’m not in school anymore and therefore, don’t actually have a back to school day. But I think the quote above is so true. Fall is a new and natural beginning to things regardless of if you’re still living on an academic calendar. And I love it. I have this Friday off and I’ve decided to dedicate the day to celebrating and preparing for the beginning of the fall season…to going Back to School.
Here’s my agenda for the day:
- Buy a bunch of magazines. Back in my school days, I loved reading the teen magazines about all the fall fashion trends, tips for the new school year and tons of artsy advertisements.
- Get a pumpkin spice latte. Nothing screams fall like a pumpkin spice latte. I love these little cups of magic and my back to school day is perfect for my first inaugural PSL.
- Go back to school shopping for a first day of school outfit. The back to school season is all about back to school shopping! This may be due to our consumeristic culture, but that’s not going to stop me from finding a fun outfit for my first day back in the office after labor day.
- While you’re at it, get a fun notebook or set of pens or something. You may not have a school supplies list anymore, but treat yourself to something fun to use in the office.
- Go to lunch and maybe a movie. When I was in school, this was a fun tradition my mom and I would do for back to school shopping since we had to drive an hour to get to a mall (we lived in the boonies), so we always made a day of it! Why not treat yourself on one of your last days of summer?
How do you celebrate the changing of seasons, especially from summer to fall?